Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Abdullah said the government’s decision that related to the cancellation of the contract with China Communication Construction Company Ltd for the East Coast Rail Link project that was put off till July, would not affect the relations between Malaysia and China.
Added to that the government had already told the Chinese government about that matter while Dr. Mahathir Mohamad’s visit the country in August last year.
Saifuddin was commenting on the Cabinet’s decision related to the cancellation of the contract (ECRL project) after he found that will cost high annual interest of at least half a billion ringgit that the country would have incurred and also exceed the government’s financial capabilities at the current time.
Saifuddin, who is a parliament member for Indera Mahkota added that Malaysia would intensify their efforts to attract Chinese investors to MCKIP in order to diminish and compensate the shortage of job opportunities that would appear as a result of the cancellation of the contract.
Although, the project is canceled Malaysia will continue its scheme in order to make Kuantan the East Coast industrial hub for that reason they still focus on the MCKIP development.
On top of that Saifuddin has become as the chairman of the Pahang State Action Council and he was informed of that.
The council was created to prove that the Pakatan Harapan government hadn’t ignored the development nor the welfare of the people in the state, members of the council would be appointed in the near future during the first meeting on February 11.