KUALA LUMPUR : Lee Chong Wei will probably miss next month’s Malaysia Open and delay his comeback from nose cancer for a second time , an official said Thursday , as the badminton big struggles to make a full rehabilitation .
Norza Zakaria , president of the Badminton Association of Malaysia aware fans to “lower their expectations” for the 36-year-old former world number 1 .
The three-time Olympic silver medal list continues to be on the sidelines ever since July a year ago , when he was identified as having early-stage nose cancer .
But Zakaria said Lee looked likely to miss his home tournament and was now targeting the Sudirman Cup mixed-team event in China in May.
“The probability of him not playing in the Malaysia Open is very high,“ he told AFP.
“I don’t think that he is fully recovered physically. He needs to train properly because Malaysia Open is a very premier event.
“Fans should lower their expectations.”
Lee, who has previously said he needs to get the all-clear from his doctors before returning to competitive play, will travel to Taiwan next week for a check-up, Norza added.