BEIJING: A billionaire Chinese property tycoon arrested on Wednesday (July 10) for suspected child molestation. This case has sparked anger over attempts to censor the incident.
It reports as Wang Zhenhua, 57-year old chairman of Seazen Holdings arrested by the Shanghai Police which a state broadcaster released a video of Wang in custody.
Prosecutors approved the arrest of a man surnamed Wang, along with a woman surnamed Zhou, Shanghai police said on their official Twitter-like Weibo account.
They said that the public security agency will take a “zero tolerance attitude” towards cases involving crimes against minors and they will be persistent in cracking down on these types of crimes.
The case is under further investigation, local authorities added.
Last week, it is reports as Wang paid Zhou to deliver a nine-year-old girl to him after bringing her to Shanghai Disneyland from another province.
The girl later told her mother that she has molested, leading to the detention of Wang and Zhou.
When posting began circulating online, purportedly from a Shanghai public affairs official, instructing media outlets not to report on the case, Chinese web users can’t help expressing their outrage.
China’s media is tightly controlled by the government, which routinely censors or squelches news that could embarrass authorities or well-connected figures.
Seazen and other companies controlled by Wang are involving in property development and management. Due to the incident, Wang has replaced as a chairman of Seazen Holdings.